Saturday 8 August 2009

Les Paul Standard Goldtop


Times change, and in the short time I've been running this blog, I've been doing lots of research on all guitars in general, and so after lots of reviews and opinions, it would appear my desire for a Les Paul Studio is maybe not the most suitable desire, as the Les Paul Studio models seem to have not the greatest track record for build quality, and time and time again I've been told to just save up the extra cash and get a standard. This makes sense, as it's the guitar of guitarists, the top quality product in the market. I've come to a narrow minded view of wanted guitars now, and the Les Paul Goldtop is the only thing I want, I would do anything to get hold of one of these, I'm currently contemplating how to get one while I'm writing this very article. Where does this desire come from? Well, when I started playing guitar, I just thought the Les Paul design was plain and unadventurous, but after playing for a few years now I have matured into the mould of the more experienced guitarist, and have come to appreciate the quality of the Les Paul Standard. Just holding one you can feel the quality, with one in my hand, I just feel like I've accomplished something. They're so classy and prestigious, half of buying a Les Paul is just so you can be a Les Paul owner, and you can tell everyone you own a real Les Paul. You get what you pay for, and so for me, getting an Epiphone just isn't going to happen, I want the real thing.

So, why should you want one? Well, half of it is the history, the Gibson brand, and specifically the Les Paul. Played originally by Jimmy Page, and then bought even further into the limelight when it was the only style of guitar in Slash's ownership. Played by Pete Townshend, Clapton in his early days, Billy Gibbons, and no doubt every single guitarist in the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame owns a Les Paul. I'd love to join those guys, it's just a mindset.

So, the statistics and specs. It has 22 frets, with trapezoid inlays, the signature Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups, which produce that signature Les Paul sound, that can't be imitated. This sound also comes from that beautiful body, made of a thick mahogany, sure, it's heavy, but my god is it worth it, that tone and sustain is godly, and it just feels so good, the quality is impeccable. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, which adds to that sustain and quality. It has two volume and two tone controls, and the frets are rosewood. The Les Paul Goldtop just screams class, writing this review has only increased my desire, I must have one, I'd never put it down.

I'd have the Goldtop because it appeals to me, but any guitar in the Les Paul Standard series is amazing. I love the goldtop because it's kinda standout, and with the binding it looks superb. Playing a Gibson Les Paul is a sign of class, if you play one on stage, you're far from eccentric, you just clearly know what's quality, and you want the best tone available to you. I've seen them used for all genres of music, and it still beats the top guitars of the genres. A Les Paul probably plays metal just as good as any Jackson.

So, what do you think about the Les Paul, the Goldtop and just everything Gibson? I wanna hear it guys!
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. You know, I love Les Pauls, but I've started to fall in love with non-Gibsons, especially ESP Eclipses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a review about an Eclipse too, as yeah, I agree, they have some wonderful finishes, and the quality is great. But I feel if I was going to get a Les Paul, it would have to be a real Gibson, it's a history/prestige thing. If you get a real Eclipse, experienced guitarists understand that you've just made a great choice, but if you get a Les Paul, pretty much everyone knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no Les Paul-like guitar that comes close to the Larrivee RS-4, dude. It's the one I would buy, if only because it's got a 25 1/2 inch scale (Fender size) and I don't like the smaller Les Paul 24 3/4 scale. Look it up.
    I have a luthier-made Les Paul guitar that has the Fender-length scale and was made in 93... it sounds awesome! The longer scale opens up the notes a lot more, much cooler for leads.

    ReplyDelete