Sunday 19 July 2009

Paul Gilbert: Technical Difficulties and PGM-30



Now then, I'm a huge fan of most of the shred virtuoso's we all know about, and they all have great songs. I've picked this one out specifically because I've been listening to it so much lately. I don't know what gets me about this song, there are much quicker and much more flashy instrumentals out there, but this one has that great riff. Take away a lot of the quick sweep work, and you have a fairly basic riff, so he's combined technical playing, with a solid riff that everyone can recognise, which really sits great with me. This is somewhat of a personal call out to Gilbert. I've watched many of his videos over the years, and the common trend amongst all of his videos is that he's a really decent down to earth guy, who is genuinely helpful. He's made some great songs, and all us players should be grateful for that when we eventually get good enough to try and learn them, I know that Technical Difficulties will be right up the top of my songs to learn chart (I should stick that chart on my wall).



I also love Gilbert's signature model. That Ibanez PGM-301, with the reverse headstock, and the body that looks like a semi-hollow body, it's wonderful, and really unique. It's also not a very flashy guitar, and I think guitars in white look great, combined with a maple neck, it looks so pure. I always wanted a Fender Stratocaster Standard in the Olympic White, with the maple neck, the model Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys was playing for a while, beautiful guitar, and not too flash either, would get you noticed on stage, but for being classy rather than eccentric. Paul's signature has a Humbucker, Single, Humbucker combination, which is fantastic, it's what I have on my Ibanez S470, if you can have that extra range and versatility, why not? That reverse headstock is definitely the stand out for me though, I must try a PGM-301 sometime, I think I might fall in love with it and not leave the shop until I've purchased it, with a ton of debt from using credit. That volume toggle that sits on the swirl of the hollow body patterns, that's very smart, I love that, and it also has the 5-way pickup selector in the middle, very clever, good man Paul.

So, what do you think of Gilbert and the PGM-301? Also, what songs make your top songs to learn someday list? I'd love to know guys, keep it all coming my way. :)
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment